The Original Squares Recipe
- 50 ml or 1/4 cup margarine or butter
- 1.25 L or 5 cups miniature or 40 regular (250 g pkg) marshmallows
- 2 ml or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1.5 L or 6 cups Rice Krispies* cereal
1. In large saucepan over low heat, melt margarine. Add marshmallows; stir until melted and well blended. Remove from heat.
2. Stir in vanilla. Add cereal, stirring until coated.
3. Using lightly buttered spatula, press into a 3 1/2 L or 13" x 9" buttered pan.
4. Cool. Cut into bars.
In large microwaveable bowl, microwave margarine on HIGH (100%) 30-60 seconds or until melted. Add marshmallows, tossing to coat. Microwave on HIGH (100%) 1 - 1 1/2 minutes or until smooth when stirred, stirring after 45 seconds. Follow steps 2-4 above.
Cooking times are for 700 watt microwaves; increase by 15-30 seconds for lower wattage ovens.
75 Calories (310 kJ)
7/10 g Protein
15 g Carbohydrate
1 7/10 g Fat
1/10 g Dietary Fibre
101 mg Sodium
10 mg Potassium.
In keeping with good allergy practices, we remind you to be aware of allergens and to check labels on any packaged goods used. This recipe has been tested using Kellogg's* products. Results with other products may vary.