Veggie Nut Burgers
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) chopped onion
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) minced garlic
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 250 g (8 oz) button mushrooms sliced
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) toasted pecans or walnuts
- 750 mL (3 cups) Rice Krispies* cereal
- 250 mL (1 cup) each: cooked brown rice and shredded carrot
- 50 mL (1/4 cup) chopped sweet green pepper
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp) salt
- 1 mL (1/4 tsp) pepper
- 0.5 mL (1/8 tsp) cayenne pepper
- 2 egg whites or 1 egg slightly beaten
- 6 hamburger buns
- In large non-stick skillet over medium heat, cook onion and garlic in oil, stirring often, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook about 4 minutes or until mushrooms are just tender.
- In food processor, chop pecans. Add mushroom mixture, cereal, rice, carrot, green pepper and seasonings. Pulse about 15 seconds until mixture is mealy consistency. Transfer to large bowl; stir in egg whites. Shape into 6 patties about 125 mL (1/2 cup) each. Place on baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Broil 15 cm (6 inches) from heat, about 5 minutes per side or until lightly browned. Serve on toasted buns with lettuce and sliced tomato if desired.
YIELD: 6 servings.
In keeping with good allergy practices, we remind you to be aware of allergens and to check labels on any packaged goods used. This recipe has been tested using Kellogg's* products. Results with other products may vary.