Tangy Topped Tuna Bake
- 75 mL (1/3 cup) sour cream
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) 2% milk
- 3 eggs separated
- 500 mL (2 cups) Rice Krispies* cereal
- 3 cans (170 g) flaked white tuna
- 50 mL (1/4 cup) each: finely chopped onion and celery
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) chopped fresh parsley
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) lemon juice
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp) salt
- 0.5 mL (1/8 tsp) pepper
- 250 mL (1 cup) mayonnaise
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) deli or grainy mustard
- In large bowl, mix together sour cream, milk and egg yolks. Place 2 of the egg whites in small, deep mixing bowl; reserve remaining egg white, covered in small bowl.
- To sour cream mixture add cereal, tuna, onion, celery, 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the parsley, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Beat the 2 egg whites with electric mixer until stiff but not dry; fold into tuna mixture. Spread in 25 x 15 x 5 cm (10 x 6 x 2-inch) baking pan or 1.5 L/6 cup casserole.
- Bake at 190°C (375°F) about 30 minutes or until knife inserted in centre comes out clean.
- In small bowl, mix together mayonnaise and mustard; cover and set aside. About 5 minutes before tuna bake is done, beat remaining egg white until stiff but not dry and fold into mayonnaise mixture. Spread over hot tuna and return to oven. Bake 5 minutes longer or until topping is set. Sprinkle with remaining parsley. Cut into squares and serve immediately.
YIELD: 6 servings.
NOTES: Whenever cooking with raw meats, ensure safe internal temperature is reached.
In keeping with good allergy practices, we remind you to be aware of allergens and to check labels on any packaged goods used. This recipe has been tested using Kellogg's* products. Results with other products may vary.