Spicy Turkey Potato Boats
- 4 large baking potatoes scrubbed and baked
- 500 g (1 lb) ground turkey
- 250 mL (1 cup) chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can (796 ml/28 oz) diced tomatoes
- 500 ml (2 cups) Rice Krispies* cereal
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp) salt
- 10 mL (2 tsp) chili powder
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp) ground cumin
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp) hot pepper flakes (optional)
- 250 mL (1 cup) finely shredded carrots
- 250 mL (1 cup) shredded Cheddar cheese
- Cut cooled potatoes lengthwise; scoop out potato to within 5 mm (1/4-inch) of skin. (Reserve potato for another use.) Place skins on baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- In 4 L (4 quart) saucepan, cook turkey, onion and garlic over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until turkey is no longer pink.
- Stir in tomatoes, cereal and seasonings. Cover and simmer over low heat 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in carrots. Spoon turkey mixture into potato skins. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 190°C (375°F) about 15 minutes or until cheese melts and potatoes are hot.
YIELD: 8 servings.
NOTES: Whenever cooking with raw meats, ensure safe internal temperature is reached.
In keeping with good allergy practices, we remind you to be aware of allergens and to check labels on any packaged goods used. This recipe has been tested using Kellogg's* products. Results with other products may vary.