Southwest Stuffed Peppers
- 6 large green peppers
- 500 g (1 lb) lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion sliced or chopped
- 1 small clove garlic minced or 1 mL (1/4 tsp) garlic powder
- 500 mL (2 cups) Rice Krispies* cereal
- 10 mL (2 tsp) chili powder
- 5 mL (1 tsp) salt
- 0.5 mL (1/8 tsp) pepper
- 1 can (540 mL/19 oz) whole tomatoes
- 1 can (156 mL/5.5 oz) tomato paste
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) shredded old Cheddar cheese
1. Cut tops from peppers and remove seeds and ribs. Cook in boiling water about 5 minutes or until slightly tender. Drain on paper towel. Place cut side up in shallow baking dish coated with cooking spray.
2. In large skillet over medium heat, cook ground beef, onion and garlic, until meat is browned, stirring frequently.
Add cereal, seasonings, tomatoes and tomato paste. Stir to combine, cutting tomatoes into pieces with spoon. When hot, spoon into peppers, dividing evenly.
3. Bake at 180°C (350°F) about 25 minutes or until filling is heated through. Sprinkle tops with cheese.
4. Return to oven; cook 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
YIELD: 6 servings.
NOTES: Whenever cooking with raw meats, ensure safe internal temperature is reached.
In keeping with good allergy practices, we remind you to be aware of allergens and to check labels on any packaged goods used. This recipe has been tested using Kellogg's* products. Results with other products may vary.