Southwest Sloppy Joes
- 500 g (1 lb) lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion sliced or chopped
- 1 small clove garlic minced or 1 mL (1/4 tsp) garlic powder
- 500 mL (2 cups) Rice Krispies* cereal
- 10 mL (2 tsp) chili powder
- 5 mL (2 tsp) salt
- 0.5 mL (1/8 tsp) pepper
- 1 can (540 mL/19 oz) whole tomatoes undrained
- 1 can (156 mL/5.5 oz) tomato paste
- 8 hamburger buns
- In large skillet over medium heat, cook ground beef, onion and garlic, until meat is browned, stirring frequently.
- Add cereal, seasonings, tomatoes with juice, and tomato paste. Stir to combine, cutting tomatoes into pieces with spoon.
- Cover and simmer over low heat about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve on toasted buns.
YIELD: 8 servings.
NOTES: Whenever cooking with raw meats, ensure safe internal temperature is reached.
In keeping with good allergy practices, we remind you to be aware of allergens and to check labels on any packaged goods used. This recipe has been tested using Kellogg's* products. Results with other products may vary.