Savoury Sweet Potato Sticks
Prep Time: 20 min
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (about 750 g/1 1/2 lbs)
- 750 mL (3 cups) Rice Krispies* cereal
- 1 mL (1/4 tsp) each: garlic powder, onion powder and salt (or seasoning salt)
- 0.5 mL (1/8 tsp) cayenne pepper
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) all-purpose flour
- 4 egg whites
- 60 mL (4 tbsp) water
- Wash sweet potatoes (or peel if desired). Cut lengthwise into 1 cm (1/2-inch) slices. Cut slices into 1 cm (1/2-inch) sticks.
- In large plate or shallow pan, mix together crushed cereal and seasonings. Place flour on second plate. In medium bowl, beat egg whites and water.
- Coat potatoes with flour, shaking off excess. Next dip in egg mixture, then coat with cereal mixture. Place in single layer on foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 200°C (400°F) about 25 minutes or until lightly browned and tender when tested with sharp knife. Serve hot with salsa or roasted garlic mayonnaise if desired.
YIELD: 8 servings.
In keeping with good allergy practices, we remind you to be aware of allergens and to check labels on any packaged goods used. This recipe has been tested using Kellogg's* products. Results with other products may vary.