Rice Krispies* Macaroons
- 2 egg whites
- 175 ml or 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 ml or 1 tsp vanilla
- 250 ml or 1 cup unsweetened coconut, shredded
- 500 ml or 2 cups Rice Krispies* cereal
- 55 g or 2 oz bittersweet chocolate (optional)
- 125 ml or 1/2 cup dried cherries (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 325 F.
2. Beat egg whites until stiff. Gradually add sugar, beat two minutes. Add vanilla.
3. Fold in shredded coconut and Rice Krispies* cereal. Add dried cherries if using.
4. Drop spoonfuls of batter onto a greased cookie sheet.
5. Bake 15-18 minutes and remove before macaroons get any colour.
6. Cool on a rack.
7. For dipped macaroons, melt chocolate over indirect heat. Carefully dip tops into melted chocolate. Cool.
NOTES: This is like a quick and easy meringue and a perfect recipe if kids are in the kitchen baking with you. Fun and festive, they make a delicious teacher's gift or treat for a family gathering. Makes 36.
In keeping with good allergy practices, we remind you to be aware of allergens and to check labels on any packaged goods used. This recipe has been tested using Kellogg's* products. Results with other products may vary.