Pineapple Sausage Appetizers
Prep Time: 20 min
- 500 g (1 lb) spicy pork sausages removed from casing
- 375 mL (1 1/2 cup) Rice Krispies* cereal
- 1 can (540 mL/19 oz) pineapple chunks in juice
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) firmly-packed brown sugar
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) cornstarch
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) soy sauce
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) vinegar
- 1 medium sweet green pepper cut into 2.5 cm (1-inch) pieces
- In large bowl, mix together sausage and crushed cereal. Shape into 2.5 cm (1-inch) meatballs. Brown meatballs in large skillet over medium heat. Drain on paper towel and set aside.
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Add water to juice to equal 500 mL (2 cups).
- In 3L (3 quart) saucepan, mix together brown sugar and cornstarch. Stir in juice, soy sauce and vinegar. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Reduce heat, add meatballs. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add pineapple chunks and green pepper. Simmer 3 minutes longer or until hot. Serve with cocktail picks.
YIELD: 3 dozen (36) meatballs.
Whenever cooking with raw meats, ensure safe internal temperature is reached.
In keeping with good allergy practices, we remind you to be aware of allergens and to check labels on any packaged goods used. This recipe has been tested using Kellogg's* products. Results with other products may vary.