Nuts About Fruit Cake
Prep Time: 20 min
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) margarine or butter
- 1 pkg 250 g (about 40) regular or 5 cups (1.25 ml) miniature marshmallows
- 1.375 L (5 1/2 cups) Rice Krispies* cereal
- 250 ml (1 cup) mixed dried fruit bits
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) chopped pecans (optional)
- 6 maraschino cherries
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) icing sugar
- 15 ml (1tbsp) orange or apple juice
1. In large saucepan melt margarine over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
2. Add cereal. Stir until well coated.
3. Using a lightly buttered spatula or wax paper, press into six 11 x 6 x 4 cm (4-1/2 x 2-1/2 x 1-1/2-inch) loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Cool. Remove from pans.
4. Cut each cherry into 5 slivers. Arrange slivers in shape of a flower on top of each loaf.
5. In small bowl, whisk together icing sugar and orange juice until smooth. Spoon over loaves. Let stand for at least 1 hour. Best if served the same day.
1. In microwave-safe bowl, heat margarine and marshmallows on HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Follow steps 2 and 3 above. Microwave cooking times may vary.
Per 1/2 loaf:
Protein: 1 g
Carbohydrate: 42 g
Fat: 7 g
Dietary Fibre: 1 g
Tips: Store no more than 2 days at room temperature in airtight container. To freeze, place in single layer on wax paper in airtight container. Freeze for up to 6 weeks. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.
In keeping with good allergy practices, we remind you to be aware of allergens and to check labels on any packaged goods used. This recipe has been tested using Kellogg's* products. Results with other products may vary.