- 125 mL or 1/2 cup margarine or butter
- 500 g or 2 pkg (about 80) regular marshmallows or 10 cups miniature
- 5 mL or 1 tsp vanilla (optional)
- 3 L or 12 cups Holiday Rice Krispies* cereal
- Prepared frosting
- Candy coated milk chocolate pieces
- Red cinnamon candies
- Powdered sugar
- Candy sprinkles
1. Regular Method:
- In a large saucepan over low heat, melt 3 tablespoons margarine and 5 cups marshmallows and stir until completely melted.
- When marshmallows have melted, increase heat to medium and cook for two minutes longer or until mixture starts to boil.
- Stir in ½ tsp vanilla. Add 6 cups of cereal, stirring until well coated.
- Quickly press into 32 cm x 22 cm pan coated with cooking spray. Set aside.
- While mixture is cooling repeat step one, pressing mixture evenly into a 40 cm x 26 cm pan lightly coated in cooking spray.
2. Assemble House:
- Turn the first pan of squares onto a foil lined tray with right side up. This will be the base of the house.
- Cut the second pan of squares into six 12 1/2 cm x 9 cm rectangles while still in pan.
- Remove the six cut pieces from the pan. Set aside the remainder of the mixture for chimney doors and windows.
- Cut front and back walls. Angle sharp knife from left side wall to centre of front side wall and cut off corners.
- Repeat cut back wall.
- Preheat oven to low heat.
- Place all cut pieces about 3 cm apart on a cookie sheet covered with cooking spray.
- Cook for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Reshape pieces with knife of spatula. Cool completely.
- Remove pieces from pan.
- Generously pipe prepared frosting on each end of the side walls.
- Stand the front wall on in the centre of the house base. Attach right side wall.
- Then attach the back and left side walls.
- To attach roof, place prepared frosting around the top edges of the front and back wall.
- Attach remaining pieces to form the roof. Use reserved pieces to make chimney, a door, and window.
- Use prepared frosting to attach pieces to house. Decorate with candy as desired. Use powdered sugar to resemble snow.
In keeping with good allergy practices, we remind you to be aware of allergens and to check labels on any packaged goods used. This recipe has been tested using Kellogg’s* products. Results with other products may vary.