Glazed Apple Squares
Prep Time: 20 min
- 500 mL (2 cups) Rice Krispies* cereal
- 325 mL (1 1/3 cups) all-purpose flour
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp) salt
- 150 mL (2/3 cup) margarine or butter
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) 2% milk
- 175 mL (3/4 cup) granulated sugar
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) all-purpose flour
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp) cinnamon
- 0.5 mL (1/8 tsp) nutmeg
- 1.25 L (5 cups) sliced, peeled cooking apples (about 750 g/1 1/2 lbs)
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) lemon juice
- 250 mL (1 cup) icing sugar
- 20 mL (4 tsp) warm water
- In medium bowl, mix together crushed cereal, the 325 mL (1 1/3 cups) flour and salt. Using pastry blender, cut in margarine until resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk; stir until mixture is moistened. Pat about half of dough in bottom and slightly up sides of 23 cm (9-inch) square baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- In small bowl, mix together sugar, the 30 mL (2 tbsp) flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Toss with sliced apples in large bowl.
- Spoon apples onto crust. Sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Roll out remaining dough on lightly floured surface to fit pan. Place over apples (don't worry if it cracks). Prick crust with fork in several places.
- Bake at 190°C (375°F) about 40 minutes or until apples are tender and crust is golden. In small bowl, mix together icing sugar and warm water until smooth. Drizzle glaze over crust while still warm. Cut into squares and serve warm or cooled.
YIELD: 9 servings.
In keeping with good allergy practices, we remind you to be aware of allergens and to check labels on any packaged goods used. This recipe has been tested using Kellogg's* products. Results with other products may vary.