Blueberry Lemon Coffee Cake
Prep Time: 20 min
- 750 mL (3 cups) Rice Krispies* cereal
- 375 mL (1 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 175 mL (3/4 cup) granulated sugar
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) margarine or butter
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp) each: baking powder and baking soda
- 1 mL (1/4 tsp) salt
- 1 egg
- 175 mL (3/4 cup) buttermilk or sour milk
- 5 mL (1 tsp) finely grated lemon peel
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) blueberry or mixed berry fruit spread
1. In large bowl, mix together crushed cereal, flour and sugar. Using pastry blender, cut in margarine until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Remove 125 mL (1/2 cup); set side for topping. Stir baking powder, soda and salt into remaining mixture.
2. In small bowl, beat together egg, buttermilk and lemon peel. Stir into cereal mixture just until combined. Spread 2/3 of batter in 23 cm (9-inch) round baking pan coated with cooking spray.
3. Evenly spoon fruit spread over batter to within 1 cm (1/2-inch) of pan. Dot top with remaining batter. (Not all fruit will be covered.) Sprinkle top with reserved topping mixture.
4. Bake at 180°C (350°F) about 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centre comes out clean.
YIELD: 8 servings.
In keeping with good allergy practices, we remind you to be aware of allergens and to check labels on any packaged goods used. This recipe has been tested using Kellogg's* products. Results with other products may vary.