Veggie Nut Burgers
Prep Time: 20 min
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) chopped onion
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) minced garlic
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 250 g (8 oz) button mushrooms sliced
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) toasted pecans or walnuts
- 750 mL (3 cups) Rice Krispies* cereal
- 250 mL (1 cup) each: cooked brown rice and shredded carrot
- 50 mL (1/4 cup) chopped sweet green pepper
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp) salt
- 1 mL (1/4 tsp) pepper
- 0.5 mL (1/8 tsp) cayenne pepper
- 2 egg whites or 1 egg slightly beaten
- 6 hamburger buns
In large non-stick skillet over medium heat, cook onion and garlic in oil, stirring often, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook about 4 minutes or until mushrooms are just tender.
In food processor, chop pecans. Add mushroom mixture, cereal, rice, carrot, green pepper and seasonings. Pulse about 15 seconds until mixture is mealy consistency. Transfer to large bowl; stir in egg whites. Shape into 6 patties about 125 mL (1/2 cup) each. Place on baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
Broil 15 cm (6 inches) from heat, about 5 minutes per side or until lightly browned. Serve on toasted buns with lettuce and sliced tomato if desired.
YIELD: 6 servings.
In keeping with good allergy practices, we remind you to be aware of allergens and to check labels on any packaged goods used. This recipe has been tested using Kellogg's* products. Results with other products may vary.