Veggie Nut Burgers (or any burger)
- 125 ml or 1/2 cup Chopped onion
- 15 ml or 1 tbsp Minced garlic
- 15 ml or 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 250 g or 8 oz Mushrooms, chopped
- 125 ml or 1/2 cup Toasted pecans or walnuts
- 750 ml or 3 cups Rice Krispies* Brown Rice Gluten-Free cereal
- 250 ml or 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 250 ml or 1 cup Shredded carrot
- 2 ml or 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 ml or 1/4 tsp Fresh cracked pepper
- 0.5 ml or 1/8 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 Egg, lightly beaten
- 6 Gluten-free hamburger buns
1. In large non-stick skillet over medium heat, cook onion and garlic in oil, stirring often, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook about 4 minutes or until mushrooms are just tender and all liquid has been absorbed.
2. In food processor, chop pecans. Add mushroom mixture, cereal, rice, carrot, salt, pepper and cayenne. Pulse about 15 seconds until mixture is mealy consistency. Transfer to large bowl; stir in egg. Shape into 6 patties about 125 ml (1/2 cup) each. Place on baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
3. Broil 15 cm (6 inches) from heat, about 5 minutes per side or until browned. Serve on toasted burns with lettuce and sliced tomato if desired.
† Since product formulation vary from one brand to another, be sure to always read the ingredient listings to be sure that the brands you selected are gluten free.
In keeping with good allergy practices, we remind you to be aware of allergens and to check labels on any packaged goods used. This recipe has been tested using Kellogg's* products. Results with other products may vary.