Lemon Crumble Parfaits
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
- 50 mL (1/4 cup) cornstarch
- 625 mL (2-1/2 cups) milk
- 3 egg yolks egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 25 mL (2 tbsp) grated lemon rind
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) lemon juice
- 25 mL (2 tbsp) butter, softened
- 75 mL (1/3 cup) whipping cream
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) quick cooking (not instant) rolled oats
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) Rice Krispies* cereal
- 75 mL (1/3 cup) packed brown sugar
- 50 mL (1/4 cup) butter, softened
1. In saucepan, whisk sugar with cornstarch. Whisk in milk, egg yolks and lemon rind until smooth. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until thick enough to coat back of spoon, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
2. Stir in lemon juice and butter until melted. Strain through fine sieve into heatproof measuring cup; place plastic wrap directly on surface and refrigerate until cool, about 1 hour.
3. Rice Krispies* Crumble: In bowl, combine oats, Rice Krispies* and sugar; mix in butter with fingers until clumpy. Spread on baking pan and bake in 350°F (180°C) oven, stirring occasionally, until crisp and golden brown, about 10 minutes. Let cool. Set aside 1/4 cup (50 mL) for garnish.
4. Whip cream. Set aside 1/4 cup (50 mL) for garnish; fold remaining cream into lemon mixture.
5. Alternately layer pudding and crumble in 4 parfait glasses, making 3 layers of pudding and 2 of crumble. Top with reserved whipped cream and crumble.
YIELD: 4 parfaits.
In keeping with good allergy practices, we remind you to be aware of allergens and to check labels on any packaged goods used. This recipe has been tested using Kellogg's* products. Results with other products may vary.