Lemon Blueberry Scones
- 250 ml or 1 cup Rice flour
- 175 ml or 3/4 cup Ground almonds
- 50 ml or 1/4 cup Granulated sugar
- 15 ml or 1 tsp Baking powder
- 2 ml or 1/2 tsp Salt
- 125 ml or 1/2 cup Butter, softened
- 375 ml or 1 1/2 cups Rice Krispies* Brown Rice Gluten-Free cereal
- 175 ml or 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 Egg
- 250 ml or 1 cup Fresh or frozen blueberries (do not thaw)
- 10 ml or 2 tsp Grated lemon rind
- 125 ml or 1/2 cup Icing sugar
- 15 ml or 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 5 ml or 1 tsp Butter, melted
1. In large bowl, mix together flour, almonds, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter using pasty blender or two knives, until mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
2. In a re-sealable bag, crush cereal to about 175 ml (3/4 cup). Stir into flour mixture.
3. In small bowl, mix together milk and egg; stir into flour mixture just until combined. Stir in blueberries and lemon rind just until mixed. (Batter will be thick but not dry). Gently pat dough onto a floured surface into a square about 2.5cm (1-inch) thick. Using a floured knife, cut into 12 pieces and arrange onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake at 200°C (400°F) for 10 to 12 minutes, until golden brown.
4. In small bowl, whisk together icing sugar, lemon juice and butter until smooth. Drizzle about 10 ml (2 tsp) over the top of each scone.
Variation: Use 125 ml (1/2 cup) dried cranberries in place of blueberries. Replace lemon rind with 15 ml (1 tbsp) grated orange rind.
† Since product formulation vary from one brand to another, be sure to always read the ingredient listings to be sure that the brands you selected are gluten free.
In keeping with good allergy practices, we remind you to be aware of allergens and to check labels on any packaged goods used. This recipe has been tested using Kellogg's* products. Results with other products may vary.