Date and Nut Treats
Prep Time: 20 min
- 125 ml or 1/2 cup margarine or butter
- 250 ml or 1 cup granulated sugar
- 250 ml or 1 cup firmly-packed chopped pitted dates
- 75 ml or 1/3 cup chopped drained maraschino cherries
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 5 ml or 1tsp vanilla extract
750 ml or 3 cups
- 250 ml or 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 375 ml or 1 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
In large microwaveable bowl, microwave margarine at HIGH about 1 minute or until melted. Stir in sugar, dates, cherries and egg; mix well. Microwave at HIGH 4 - 42 minutes, stirring every 12 minutes, until mixture is smooth and thickened.
Add vanilla. Stir in cereal and nuts; mix well. Drop by 15 mL (tablespoon) measure onto coconut in shallow dish. Form into balls, rolling in coconut.
Chill. Store in refrigerator, covered.
Stove Top Method:
In large, heavy saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir date mixture until it comes to a boil. Boil 3-5 minutes. Follow Step 2 above.
Sprinkle half of coconut over bottom of lightly-buttered 2 L (9") square pan.
Spoon on cereal mixture; spread evenly. Top with remaining coconut, pressing into mixture. Chill. Cut in small squares.
NOTES: Cooking times are for 700 - watt microwave ovens; increase by 15 - 30 seconds for lower-wattage ovens.
In keeping with good allergy practices, we remind you to be aware of allergens and to check labels on any packaged goods used. This recipe has been tested using Kellogg's* products. Results with other products may vary.