Chocolate Caramel Squares (Gluten-Free version)
- 150 ml or 2/3 cup Golden corn syrup
- 75 ml or 1/3 cup Granulated sugar
- 1.25 L or 5 cups Rice Krispies* Brown Rice Gluten-Free cereal
- 250 ml or 1 cup Butter
- 175 ml or 3/4 cup Packed brown sugar
- 500 ml or 2 cups Chopped pecans or pecan halves, toasted
- 500 ml or 2 cups Semi-sweet chocolate chips (350 g pkg)
1. In large saucepan or Dutch oven over low heat, heat corn syrup and granulated sugar until bubbly. Stir in cereal until well coated. Press into buttered 33 x 23 cm (13 x 9-inch) pan.
2. In medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar. Stir constantly until mixture bubbles; cook for about 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir until smooth. Spread evenly over cereal base in pan. Sprinkle pecans over top; press lightly into caramel layer.
3. In medium saucepan over low heat (stirring often), or in microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes, melt chocolate chips. Stir until smooth. Spread carefully over pecans. Let cool. Cut into squares.
† Since product formulation vary from one brand to another, be sure to always read the ingredient listings to be sure that the brands you selected are gluten free.
In keeping with good allergy practices, we remind you to be aware of allergens and to check labels on any packaged goods used. This recipe has been tested using Kellogg's* products. Results with other products may vary.