Chocolate Butterscotch Holiday Tree
Prep Time: 20 min
- 1 L (4 cups) KELLOGG'S* HOLIDAY RICE KRISPIES* cereal
- 1 L (4 cups) KELLOGG'S* CRISPIX* cereal
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) chocolate chips
- 125 (1/2 cup) butterscotch chips
- 75 mL (1/3 cup) margarine or butter
- 300 g (42) large marshmallows
- 4 egg whites
- 5 mL (1tsp) fresh lemon juice or cream of tartar
- 1 kg icing sugar (1 pkg)
- FROOT LOOPS* WINDERS*
- FROOT LOOPS* TWISTABLES*
- HOLIDAY FROOT LOOPS* cereal
- HOLIDAY RICE KRISPIES* cereal
- Baking gums and jelly beans
- Small pretzels
- Minitature white or coloured marshmallows
1. Pre-heat oven to 120°C [250°F].
2. In large microwaveable bowl microwave marshmallows and margarine at HIGH [100%] for 2 minutes, stirring after 1 minute. Stir mixture until marshmallows are melted.
3. Add to cereal and chips mixture, stirring well until coated.
4. Press mixture firmly and evenly into a parchment lined buttered 45 cm x 33 cm [17 x 12 inch] cookie sheet.
5. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. Cool completely on cooling rack.
6. PREPARE THE TREE BASE - Use foil to cover a firm base cutting board, a large cookie sheet 52 cm x 33 cm [20 x 12-inch], or use a large festive platter.
7. CUT OUT ALL PATTERN PIECES - Use cardboard, measurements given and scissors. If you wrap each cardboard piece with plastic wrap you can use them over and over again.
8. CUT OUT THE TREE - Using the marked pattern pieces and a sharp knife, cut out one large tree (#1 shape) and two smaller tree shapes (#2 shape).
9. TO ASSEMBLE THE TREE - Spread 125 mL [1/2 cup] icing onto the upper left hand corner of prepared board, to form a circle. Spread icing onto the straight edge of each of the two smaller tree shapes and press firmly onto centre of either side of the larger tree shape. Place tree into centre of icing on board, pressing firmly. Allow icing to set for 1 hour before decorating as photographed or as desired.
10. PREPARE ICING: Combine egg whites, lemon juice and icing sugar on low speed of electric mixer. Beat at medium speed until stiff icing is formed; add additional icing sugar if icing is not firm enough.
11. Use a small knife or spatula to spread icing on all the cut piece edges of the tree.
12. Keep bowl covered with damp tea towel to prevent icing from drying out.
13. Decorate with: FROOT LOOPS* WINDERS* and FROOT LOOPS* TWISTABLES* fruit flavoured snacks; HOLIDAY FROOT LOOPS* cereal and HOLIDAY RICE KRISPIES* cereal; baking gums & jellybeans; small pretzels & miniature white or coloured marshmallows.
In keeping with good allergy practices, we remind you to be aware of allergens and to check labels on any packaged goods used. This recipe has been tested using Kellogg’s* products. Results with other products may vary.