Beans and Salsa over Corn Polenta
- 500 mL (2 cups) Rice Krispies* cereal
- 375 mL (1 1/2 cups) cornmeal
- 1.125 L (4 1/2 cups) water
- 250 mL (1 cup) frozen corn
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) Parmesan cheese
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp) each: salt and garlic powder
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) chopped cilantro or fresh parsley
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 can (540mL/19 oz) kidney beans
- 1 can (398 mL/14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 250 mL (1 cup) each: frozen corn and salsa
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) chopped cilantro or parsley
- 250 mL (1 cup) shredded Cheddar cheese
1. In 3 L (3 quart) saucepan, combine cereal, cornmeal and water. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook about 8 minutes until very thick, stirring constantly.
2. Remove from heat; stir in corn, Parmesan cheese, seasonings and cilantro.
3. Spread in 33 x 23 cm (13 x 9-inch) baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 180°C (350°F) about 40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly on wire rack. Cut into 12 pieces.
4. Prepare sauce while polenta bakes. In large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until onion is tender. Stir in beans, tomatoes, corn and salsa. Simmer, uncovered, over medium heat about 15 minutes, or until most of the liquid has been reduced. Stir in cilantro.
5. Place two pieces of warm polenta on plate. Spoon portion of sauce over top and sprinkle with bit of Cheddar cheese.
YIELD: 6 servings.
In keeping with good allergy practices, we remind you to be aware of allergens and to check labels on any packaged goods used. This recipe has been tested using Kellogg's* products. Results with other products may vary.